Colour concrete is a great finish that can be applied to various surfaces, the process may be of interest to you. Here are the steps involved:
1. Surface Preparation: Prepare the concrete surface by cleaning it thoroughly. Remove any dirt, dust, oil, or grease using a pressure washer or suitable cleaning agents. Repair any cracks, spalling or damage to ensure a smooth and even surface.
2. Priming (Optional): Applying a concrete primer can further improve the bond between the surface and the color. To ensure a good bond of the finish, we prime the cleaned surface.
3. Mixing the Color Concrete: Mix the color concrete according to the correct proportions Use the recommended amount of color pigment, typically in powder or liquid form, and thoroughly mix it with the concrete mix until it is evenly distributed.
4. Application: Pour the mixed color concrete onto the prepared surface. Use a trowel, squeegee, or a gauge rake to spread the concrete evenly. Work in small sections to ensure consistent coverage and avoid drying out before finishing.
5. Leveling and Smoothing: Use a bull float or a darby to level and smooth the surface of the poured concrete. This step helps eliminate any high or low spots and creates a flat and uniform surface for the color finish.
6. Color Application: Once the concrete is level, it's time to apply the color finish. There are different techniques available, such as integral color, dry shake color hardeners, or acid stains. Depending on the required finish various techniques are used by our teams.
- Integral Color: If using integral color, the pigment is added to the concrete mix before pouring. It uniformly colors the entire depth of the concrete, providing a consistent color throughout.
- Dry Shake Color Hardeners: Dry shake color hardeners are spread evenly over the surface of the concrete after it has been poured and leveled. They add color and increase the surface strength.
- Acid Stains: Acid stains react chemically with the concrete surface, creating variegated and unique color effects. The stains penetrate the concrete and create a translucent appearance.
7. Finishing: After applying the color, proceed with finishing techniques such as stamping, scoring, or polishing, depending on the desired outcome. These techniques can enhance the appearance and texture of the colored concrete or give the mottled look we love so much!
8. Curing and Sealing: Allow the colored concrete to cure for the recommended time, typically approximately 48 hours. This ensures proper strength development. Afterward, apply a concrete sealer to protect the color and enhance its longevity. Depending on the application we will suggest the best sealer for your project.
10. Maintenance: Regularly maintain the colored concrete floor by cleaning it with mild detergents and avoiding abrasive cleaning tools. Periodically reapply a protective sealer to maintain the color's vibrancy and protect the surface. Chat to us regarding our Revive product specially formulated for this application.
It's important to note that specific products and techniques may vary, speak to us regarding your next project, floors, walls and in between we got you covered.